Saturday, June 21, 2008

Negativity

I am a member of the Lions Club. I joined this club because they are a service organization. I want to serve, in whatever form that might take. But today made me rethink my desire to be a member.

Our club sold concessions at a HUGE auction today. Eight and a half hours. Hard work but fun. I enjoyed myself as I always do. Except for one thing.

One of the women helping serve can be very negative at times. Now, I like people, and can usually find something good about them, something we have in common, something I like. But today, as she often does, this woman made comments that were extremely critical, this time about one of our fellow Lions. I listened to her make petty comments as long as I could. Then my irritation overcame my better judgment. I spoke harshly to her, and then I walked away.

I immediately felt bad. But I didn't apologize.

What motivates a person to be so critical? To have such a bitter, negative outlook on life? I just don't understand.

3 comments:

Lora3677 said...

some people are just happy being miserable

Susie said...

so sad how people can act! welcome to the blogging community!

Brenda said...

You would think a volunteer would like what they are volunteering to do... I don't know what motivates people like that - why even bother to volunteer?

I stayed home yesterday from a church event for precisely the same reason. I felt guilty staying at home but at least I didn't feel like a hypocrite.

Chin up Mary and good for you for calling her on it.